Joseph J. Berta
As a solicitor in our corporate-commercial group, Joe assists a wide array of clients with their business law needs.
Joe’s clients include individuals starting out in the business world, family-owned operations, and mid-sized businesses. Joe regularly works with realtors, brokers, accountants, and bankers, to ensure that his clients’ particular interests are properly addressed.
- Called to the BC Bar in May 2004
- Bachelor of Laws, University of British Columbia, 2003
- Bachelor of Sciences, Queen’s University, 1996
- Co-counsel on a complex $40,000,000.00 business sale to a public company
- Representing landlord on the drafting of a contentious and complex commercial lease
- Representing purchaser of multi-acre multi-tenant commercial land in Surrey
- Representing vendor of multi-location franchised business
- Member of the Surrey Board of Trade’s Business Excellence Awards Committee.
- Regular guest lecturer at The Self Employment and Entrepreneur Development Society (SEEDS), where he lectures on matters relating to entering into business ventures.
- Reorganizations and amalgamations
- Drafting, negotiation, and review of legal contracts
BUYING AND SELLING A BUSINESS
- Negotiation, drafting and review of letters of intent and purchase and sale agreements (asset and share transactions)
- Related financings including vendor takeback financing
- Acting for buyers and sellers of residential and commercial real estate, including farms, shopping centres, and multi-tenant buildings
- Drafting and negotiation of commercial leases (on behalf of the landlord or tenant), assignments of lease, and subleases
- Acting for institutional lenders and commercial borrowers for commercial financings
- Reorganizations, amalgamations, s. 85 agreements, and other tax-driven transactions