Tako assists business owners purchasing new businesses, reorganizing existing businesses or selling their businesses either to outside purchasers or as part of a well-thought-out succession plan.
He also gives practical legal advice to business owners on questions of law arising in commercial settings.
Working with land owners and developers, Tako assists with drafting joint venture agreements, partnership agreements, cost sharing agreements, and debt or equity financing agreements. Further into the project, he will assist land developers in their dealings with City Hall and advise on preparation of disclosure statements as required under the Real Estate Developments Marketing Act.
Memberships & Professional Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Surrey Bar Association
Positions / Community Involvement
- Christian Legal Fellowship
- Elim Housing Society, former director and chair. Elim Housing is a not-for-profit society that is developing a full-service campus-of-care seniors housing complex in Surrey.
Lectures / Publications / Seminars
- Tako has spoken to various organizations on the topic of involving employee groups as part of business succession planning.
- Advising on transitioning a family-run business to the next generation
- Advising on making application to remove land from the Agricultural Land Reserve and applying for rezoning with City Hall
- Assisting a group of land developers to assemble parcels of real estate and make application for land consolidation and subdivision
- Assisting a land developer to obtain equity financing through a limited partnership
- Assisting a not-for-profit seniors housing society to navigate complex dealings with various levels of government
Hobbies / Interests
- Cycling on his road racing bicycle. Tako plans to put 4,000 km on his bike this year
- Bachelor of Laws, University of British Columbia, 1989
- Bachelor of Arts, Trinity Western University, 1986
Years of Call & Jurisdiction
- Called to the BC Bar in 1990