Dan was born and raised in Delta, British Columbia and has been a Partner at McQuarrie Hunter LLP since January 1, 2013.
Dan has an active practice and has acted or assisted at all levels of court in British Columbia on a variety of interlocutory, trial, and appeal matters, as well as at administrative tribunals and at the Federal Court of Canada. Dan has been lead counsel on lengthy commercial litigation trials in the Supreme Court of British Columbia, spanning thirty-five (35) days, as well as at summary trial applications, and on various applications for interlocutory relief.
Dan’s practice is focused primarily on commercial litigation, which addresses conflicts that arise in the business context, such as matters of contract, money, or property. Dan has experience acting for many well-known companies and individuals throughout Greater Vancouver and the Fraser Valley in resolving commercial litigation disputes and can assist in a broad variety of matters such as land/real estate, construction, builders’ liens, contracts, debt, joint ventures, shareholder, and partnership disputes.
Dan also resolves disputes outside of the court room through various forms of alternative dispute resolution including negotiation, arbitration, and mediation. He works to provide effective advocacy and representation for all types of clients and disputes.
Whether through litigation or a negotiated settlement, Dan can help you make the right decisions for your business.
Memberships & Professional Affiliations
- 2015 Notable Awards Winner for BC/Alberta
- Co-founder of the Young Lawyers of Surrey
- Vice President of the Surrey Bar Association
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association, Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia, and New Westminster Bar Association
Dan has appeared before the Court of Appeal on a number of occassions on appeals of both chambers orders and judgments and is familiar with both the process and the strategy involved with an appeal.
Appeals Reported Decisions
- Gadhri v. 0760815 B.C. Ltd., 2017 BCCA 31
Positions / Community Involvement
- Member of Management at McQuarrie Hunter LLP
- Vice President of the Surrey Bar Association
- Active member at the Surrey Board of Trade
- Local run club leader
- Active volunteer at a number of local non- profit community events
- Gadhri v. 0760815 B.C. Ltd., 2016 BCSC 521
- H. Y. Engineering Ltd. v. Siemens, 2014 BCPC 22
- Stone v. Insurance Corporation of BC, 2008 BCPC 383
- Act for companies and individuals using alternative dispute resolutions such as: arbitration, mediation, and negotiation
- Act for companies and individuals to collect outstanding accounts and to enforce promissory notes, credit agreements, guarantees, and indemnity agreements
- Act for companies and individuals with respect to enforcement and termination of contracts including: contracts of purchase and sale, commercial leases, construction contracts, joint venture agreements, partnership agreements, share and asset agreements, service and fee agreements, franchise agreements, loan agreements, indemnity and guarantee agreements
- Act for companies and individuals to advance and defend claims for fraud, deceit, misrepresentation, conspiracy, breach of fiduciary duty, unjust enrichment, interference with business relationships, breach of confidence, business defamation, and negligence
- Act for sellers and purchasers of commercial and residential real estate
- Advance and defend claims for specific performance and damages
- Act for commercial landlords in lease disputes, including the termination and enforcement of leases
- Act for and against developers under the Real Estate Development Marketing Act(REDMA)
- Act for owners in respect of disputes relating to easements, restrictive covenants, building schemes, and other charges
- Act for owners and contractors on contractual disputes involving issues of default, termination, and set-off
- Act for owners, contractors, and construction managers in pursuing and defending construction deficiency claims
- Act for subcontractors and material suppliers in collecting outstanding amounts in construction disputes
- Commence and enforce Builders Lien claims
- Act for employers and employees with respect to wrongful dismissal, employment contracts, Employment Standards, Human Rights, non-competition, confidentiality, and non-solicitation agreements and covenants
- Act for franchisees with respect to the enforcement and termination of franchise agreements
Hobbies / Interests
- Local road run club leader, avid trail runner, and local hiker
- Interest in local and world affairs and avid reader of local and world newspublications
- Avid reader of historical non-fiction, with a focus on Ancient History
- 1999 – Graduated from Seaquam Secondary School
- 2003 – Bachelor of Arts with distinction from the University of Victoria
- 2006 – Juris Doctor from the University of Alberta
Years of Call & Jurisdiction
- Called to the BC Bar in 2007