Administrative Support Staff Positions
Accounting Manager Position Available – McQuarrie in Surrey
McQuarrie is currently seeking an Accounting Manager for our busy department of five accounting clerks. If you are looking for a great legal accounting management position in the Surrey area, McQuarrie is your firm. This is an exciting opportunity to work at a firm of high professional standing.
McQuarrie Hunter LLP is a mixed-practice firm offering services in the areas of corporate and commercial law, real estate and land development, wills and estates law, as well as commercial and general civil litigation including personal injury law, family law and estate litigation. We are a regional firm servicing clients throughout Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley and all of BC, inclusive of large and small businesses, institutions and individuals. We are located in state-of-the-art offices on the 15th and 18th floors of the Central City Tower, immediately adjacent to the Surrey Centre Skytrain station and accessible by car via the Port Mann and Pattullo bridges. We embrace the latest of legal, desktop and network technology.
Summary of Duties:
- Manage and oversee all accounting functions and accounting department personnel to ensure everything is done in an efficient and timely manner
- Coordinate vacation coverage for the accounting department with the HR Manager
- Training for all legal support staff and lawyers on accounting system
- Maintain user ID’s and accounting settings in PC Law
- Administrator of the e-Convey system
- Full-cycle G/L accounting
- Trust accounting and ensuring firm members adhere to the Law Society of BC trust rules
- Payment of Trust Administration Fees (TAF) quarterly
- Work with the Law Society of BC staff on intermittent formal trust audits
- Print and review WIP and A/R monthly reports with lawyers
- Process WIP transfers and write-offs in conjunction with lawyers
- Process A/R write-offs in conjunction with lawyers
- Finalize and process lawyer billings in conjunction with lawyers/staff
- ICBC billing (Legal-X system data maintenance)
- Maintain all bank accounts
- Prepare all general and trust bank reconciliations
- Process and prepare PST/GST remittances monthly
- Maintain partner capital/draw spreadsheets/reconciliations and prepare partner draws
- PC Law file closing process
- Prepare, print and distribute all month-end reports, including lawyer target reports
- Calculate and process fee sharing payments for associate counsel lawyers
- Process all month-end adjusting journal entries, including prepaid draw-downs
- Prepare internal McQH and AM operating financial statements (income statements, balance sheets and trial balances)
- Prepare internal consolidated operating statements (consolidate income statement)
- Work with accounting firm on annual review engagement
- Prepare reports on firm budget vs. actuals
- Annual internal trust audit with lawyers for the Law Society of BC
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Self starter, able to work independently and as a team member
- Management experience; able to manage an accounting team of five staff members
- Proficiency with desktop software such as Internet search engines, Microsoft Office Word and Excel
- Experience and proficiency with PC Law legal accounting system an asset (although experience with any legal accounting system is sufficient)
- CPA (CMA/CGA) accounting designation preferred
McQuarrie offers a great working environment and excellent benefits. Compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Candidates are invited to apply by email to Catherine Jacobs, Chief Operating Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. While we thank all applicants for their interest in this position, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Receptionist Position Available – McQuarrie in Surrey
We are currently seeking a career Receptionist to join our very busy team. Ideally, we would prefer someone who has experience in a law firm office. If you are looking for a law firm position with a great firm in the Surrey area, McQuarrie is your firm.
Summary of Duties:
- Responsible for answering and directing all incoming calls and queries on a busy multi-lined switchboard
- Meeting and greeting clients and staff as they arrive for meetings and advise various parties of their arrival
- Coordinate boardrooms for client meetings and internal meetings
- Process payments for clients and staff
- Accept incoming mail, couriers and deliveries
- Distribute incoming faxes
- Attendance tracking
- Advising appropriate parties of staff absences or delays
- Ensuring the reception area and boardrooms are tidy at all times
- Other administrative tasks as required
- Must have 1-5 years experience in a similar role, preferably in a law firm environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate in a professional, mature and courteous manner
- Must have a professional and pleasant phone demeanor with good command of the English language
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and requests while maintaining a calm and positive demeanor
- Professional attitude and appearance
- Exceptional organization skills with a strong attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and part of team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook and basic knowledge of Excel
- Previous experience with CISCO VOIP phone systems is an asset
The successful applicant will be the type of person who thrives in a busy, team oriented environment. Must be able to work from 8:30am-4:30pm.
We offer a great working environment and excellent benefits. Applicants are invited to apply with Cover Letter and Resume by email to Nicole Dunn, Human Resources Manager: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Associate Lawyer Positions
- Although we do not have any specific associate lawyer positions available at this time, we will review unsolicited applications. If you are interested moving your practice to McQuarrie, please email Catherine Jacobs, COO at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal Support Staff Positions
- Unfortunately, we do not have any opportunities available at this time. We gladly accept resumes to be considered for future openings. Please submit resumes by email to email@example.com.