Nathaniel is an experienced trial lawyer with a litigation practice focused mainly on ICBC personal injury cases. He has considerable past experience acting on ICBC’s behalf in motor vehicle accident related matters.
Mr. Hartney’s trial and appellate experience includes:
- Parker v. Martin, 2017 BCSC 446, a motor vehicle accident case involving the testimony of expert Cardiologist on the effects of intervening heart attack on loss of earning capacity claim;
- Lui v. Transportation Investment Corporation, 2016 BCSC 827, a proposed class action brought against the operators of the Port Mann Bridge regarding late payment fees and the charging of criminal interest;
- R. v. Nguyen et al., 2014 BCPC 95, infamous “Vietnam Travel” money laundering case where full acquittals were obtained in one of the biggest money laundering cases in BC history;
- R. v. Magalong, 2013 BCCA 478, a leading case from the B.C. Court of Appeal on language rights for detainees in police custody;
- R. v. Morley, 2013 BCSC 463, a highly complex customs case involving alleged violations of the Federal Customs Act;
- R. v. To, 2012 BCPC 49; one of the few reported cases involving a stay of proceedings for Marijuana Cultivation based on unreasonable delay;
- Other complex criminal cases, including jury acquittals as lead counsel; and
- Other motor vehicle accident cases.
In total, he has conducted over 125 trials as lead counsel, including jury and non-jury cases.
Nathaniel has a particular interest in motorcycle accident cases, having been an avid motorcyclist from the age of 16.
Nathaniel is the publisher of the BC Personal Injury Law Blog which can be found at http://www.bcpersonalinjurylawblog.com. In addition, he is a regularly featured guest speaker on The Law Show on CISL 650 AM where he discusses topics relating to personal injury and motor vehicle accident claims.
Memberships & Professional Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Surrey Bar Association
- Vancouver Bar Association
- New Westminster Bar Association
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
Recognitions / Awards
- 2014 Dugald Christie Award for pro bono services (Access Pro Bono BC)
- LL.B, University of Saskatchewan, 2009
Years of Call & Jurisdiction
Called to the BC Bar in 2010