Elyssa Lockhart is a Partner at McQuarrie Hunter LLP, practicing in the Corporate and Wealth Preservation departments and seeing clients in both our Surrey office as well as her own office in Mission.
Called to the British Columbia Bar in February of 2001, Elyssa completed her articles and then practiced with a well-respected mid-sized firm in downtown Vancouver. In 2005 she took over the management of her father’s law practice in the Fraser Valley. Over the following decade, Elyssa established herself as both a well-respected practitioner in her field and as a community leader.
In her Corporate practice, Elyssa primarily assists Owner/Operators with structure and governance issues associated with incorporation, sale and acquisition of corporate assets and of corporations themselves, succession planning and transition of ownership, as well as with windup and dissolution. Elyssa is well-versed in corporate reorganizations and works closely with clients’ accountants and other advisors in estate freeze and other transactions designed to minimize undesirable tax consequences while maximizing tax beneficial outcomes.
Elyssa also chooses to adopt a collaborative and interdisciplinary approach in her estate planning and estate administration practice, regularly consulting with financial planners, accountants, business managers and other professionals as necessary to ensure clients’ wishes are able to be carried out following their passing. Elyssa’s practice includes family enterprise clients involved in farming, manufacturing and real estate development, among other industries. She has significant experience in drafting estate plans for blended families and for families wishing to protect the interests of disabled beneficiaries. She advises estate representatives as well as beneficiaries during the Probate application process and provides opinions on the interpretation of wills, trusts and other estate planning documents.
Memberships & Professional Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association
- Estate Planning Counsel, Fraser Valley Chapter
Positions / Community Involvement
- Member, Board of Governors, University of the Fraser Valley (2014 – Present)
- Executive Committee (2015 – present)
- Economic Development (Select) Committee, District of Mission (2012 – Present)
- 2014 BC Winter Games, Director of Protocol (2012 – 2014)
- 2014 BC Winter Games, Board of Directors’ Nominating Committee (2011)
- Member, Board of Directors, Mission Literacy in Motion (2014 – 2016)
- Mission Regional Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors (2006 – 2014)
- President (2012 – 2013)
- Government Affairs Committee (Chair, 2008 – 2012)
- Governance, By-Laws and Business Excellence Task Forces
- Rotary Club of Mission Mid-Day, Secretary (2007 – 2009)
- Affiliation of Multicultural Societies & Service Agencies (AMMSA) (2004 – 2009)
- Executive Committee
- Director-at-large (2007 – 2009)
- Membership Committee (2005 – 2007)
Lectures / Publications / Seminars
- Speaker at WNorth: A Global Gathering of Women on the Rise (2016)
- Frequent speaker at client information seminars and staff training events for several organizations including Royal Columbian Hospital Foundation, RBC, Prospera, Coast Capital, BMO, Vancity, Investors Group and Raymond James.
- Presenter at Continuing Legal Education and Canadian Bar Association courses for lawyers and paralegals.
Recognitions / Awards
- Citizen of the Year (2013), District of Mission
- Sports Hall of Fame Inductee, District of Mission
- Law Foundation Entrance Scholarship, University of Victoria First Year Law
- University of Victoria, Faculty of Law, J.D.
- University of Victoria, Faculty of Public Administration, D.P.S.M.
- St. Mary’s University, Faculty of Commerce, D.H.R.M.
Years of Call & Jurisdiction
Called to the BC Bar on February 21, 2001