Bill joined the firm as an associate after completing his articles with a leading national business law firm. Bill practices in the solicitors’ workgroup at McQuarrie Hunter LLP, with experience in land development, commercial real estate, conveyancing, and corporate and commercial law.
Bill received his B.A. from Simon Fraser University and his J.D. from the University of Victoria, and also spent a visiting semester at the Allard School of Law. During law school Bill supported an advocacy group for persons with disabilities through his volunteer work with Pro Bono Students Canada and served as a director on the board of Abbeyfield, a seniors’ residence in Victoria. He also participated actively in student life, serving as Secretary of the UVic Business Law Association and mentoring first year law students as a tutor in UVic’s Amicus Program. For his support work on campus and dedication to fellow students, Bill received the UVic Law Students’ Society’s “Best Law Buddy” award for 2015, in addition to earning two McCarthy Tétrault prizes for the highest academic performance in Property Law and Legal Ethics and Professionalism. He was also published in APPEAL, UVic’s law review journal.
Memberships & Professional Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Surrey Bar Association
- Vancouver Bar Association
Positions / Community Involvement
- Board of Directors, Abbeyfield (Victoria), 2014 to 2015
- Secretary, University of Victoria Business Law Association, 2014 to 2015
Lectures / Publications / Seminars
- 33 Years Later: Revisiting Section 33 in the Context of the Newly Constitutionalized Right to Strike, Appeal: Review of Current Law and Law Reform, Volume 21, March 2016
- “Venting” on Facebook Leads to $65,000 Defamation Judgment and Liability for 3rd Party Comments, Canadian Privacy Law Review, Volume 13, Number 8. Cited as (2016), 13 C.P.L.R.
- “‘Going Dark’ – No Easy Answers on the Cybersecurity Horizon” (2016) 25:7 Canadian Corporate Counsel 106
Recognitions / Awards
- McCarthy Tétrault Prize in Memory of John Finlay
- McCarthy Tétrault Prize in Property
Hobbies / Interests
- Electronics, technology, and media
- Going on adventures with my wife and daughter
- 2016 – J.D. at the University of Victoria
- 2015 – Allard School of Law (Visiting semester – Sept to Dec)
- 2010 – B.A. at Simon Fraser University
Years of Call & Jurisdiction
Called to the BC Bar in 2017