Doug is a partner at McQuarrie Hunter LLP and the head of our Commercial Litigation Group.
Doug was born and raised in British Columbia and has diverse educational and life experience in construction, government, business, food services and real estate. He is also a senior member of the firm’s Personal Injury Group following years of experience as defence counsel in the insurance industry.
Doug’s practice is focused on commercial litigation, including construction disputes, builders’ liens, shareholder disputes and litigation arising from real estate/land disputes and commercial leases. He also handles personal injury claims from motor vehicle accidents and negligent occupiers, and has expanded representation of injured persons throughout north-central British Columbia out of centralized offices in Fort St. John through a joint venture with MacLean Law Group.
Doug has acted for and advised all players in the commercial and construction context, including owners, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers, commercial landlords, real estate agents, and directors and shareholders, including many well-known companies and leading individuals active throughout Greater Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.
Doug provides practical advice and seeks to resolve issues quickly and efficiently. He has advised and represented clients through mediation, commercial arbitration and negotiated settlements. However, if warranted, Doug will aggressively pursue or defend claims through the courts and appeal process, and has done so at all levels, including the BC Provincial Court, Supreme Court and Court of Appeal, in addition to the Federal Court and Tax Court of Canada. Doug is also a member of the Trial Lawyers Association and Canadian Bar Association and has been a speaker and presenter for the Greater Vancouver Homebuilders’ Association and an instructor at Vancouver Community College.
Memberships & Professional Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
- Greater Vancouver Home Builders’ Association
- Vancouver Community College
Positions / Community Involvement
Queens Park Felburn Hospital Society
Lectures / Publications / Seminars
- Greater Vancouver Home Builders’ Association, speaker/presenter on legal issues
- Vancouver Community College, instructor
- Arbitration in Canada and the United States
- Serious Personal Injury Claims
- Builders’ liens and constructions disputes
- Real estate/land disputes
- Shareholder/partnership disputes
- Chambers and trial advocacy
Hobbies / Interests
- real estate and investments
- circuit training
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Alberta, 2001
- Bachelor of Arts, Simon Fraser University, 1998
Years of Call & Jurisdiction
Called to the BC Bar in 2002